Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Narrative

Narrative writing contains the following features:

Orientation
Complication
Resolution

The orientation sets the scene. Where is the story set? Who is in it?

The complication is when something changes, for example something goes wrong, a problem arises, an enemy appears.

The resolution is how the change was dealt with, how the problem was solved or how the enemy was overcome.

NB: Other optional features that may occur in a narrative are a preview, an evaluation and a coda. The order would be: Orientation, Preview of complication, Complication, Evaluation, Resolution, Coda. In the coda, normality is restored.

Here is an example:

On a windy overcast day I put on my hiking gear and left my house for a walk in the Valley. I was hoping to photograph some birds.

Little did I know what was in store.

A strong wind raced through the Valley and I soon discovered that all the birds were hiding in the dense bushes. It seemed hopeless! I wouldn't get any photos today.

But just then I saw an eagle. It was using the wind to undertake a spectacular display flight. It swooped up and down showing off its magnificent wings.

I got some fantastic photos and came home to add them into my blog.

Return to HOW TO BLOG